Tonight at 6pm Andres was set apart as a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Stake President Russell said some beautiful things in his blessing and we are very excited and ready for tomorrow. All of the important last odds and ends were taken care of today, so he can now forget about the world and look forward to the work ahead! COPIED FROM A FACEBOOK POST LAST NIGHT:
Since this is my last official post for the next few years, I'd just like to say that the last few days I have before I leave for my mission to Guatemala have been amazing, thanks largely to my family, for their limitless love and support; For my parents, brothers, sisters, and their families, for their ever-present faith in The Lord, Our God; for my upbringing in The Church, and for the many valuable lessons I've been taught both in church and at home. I'm also especially thankful for all of my friends, who have been with me for the past few years, months, and weeks (You all know who you are). I feel deep, undying gratitude for your advice, counsel, support, love and friendship; for the many funny, sad, happy, serious, and incredible moments I've had with each and every one of you. I will miss terribly our conversations, and our moments together where there was only bliss and absolute happiness. I also would like to thank all the Brothers and Sisters from my Ward, both young and...ancient for your advice, support, love, friendship, and our tight-knit community, also for our mutual faith and the gospel we belong to and love as well. For those who know not what I've been rambling about, I go now to serve in Guatemala, Guatemala City North for two years as a missionary for The Church Of Jesus Christ of Ladder-Day Saints. My assigned area covers the entire northern half of Guatemala, and geographically speaking, is basically all lowland tropical jungle. I will get to see Mayan Ruins, sinkholes, indigenous tribes and other magnificent sights unseen anywhere else on the planet. I will most likely learn a few Mayan Languages, specifically Ki'ckché, and M'am. I will labor every day, and learn evermore about Guatemala, and its inhabitants. I will learn more about my own gospel that I could ever hope to imagine, and I will also learn more about myself. I will come back a changed person, hopefully more humble, patient and loving toward all people. Why do I do this, you ask? I do it to serve my Lord. I do it for my family, both past, present, and future; so I may learn to lead a stable family, and to teach virtue and good principles to my children. I do it, so that others may someday feel the love and joy I feel now. I do it to be an example for the younger members of my family, as well as others who need it. I love you all who have been close to me this past year as I prepared to serve, I will miss you all who have been by my side, with whom I've conversed, with whom I've gone on walks with, and with whom I've sat beside with. I will see you all soon. With much love, -------Elder Andrés Delgado.
Those are some of the most beautiful words I have EVER heard/read from a departing missionary. What a testimony and what an incredibly wonderful sense of what his purpose is. He will be a GREAT addition to the Guatemala City North Mission. I look forward to reading about his experiences and pray that my own son will have the privilege of meeting him as they serve in Guatemala.
ReplyDeleteLeslie Smith
Mom to Elder Jordan Smith
Great blessings await you! Both Leslie (above comment) and I know because our sons have been so richly blessed as they have served in the Guatemala City North Mission. Put your whole heart into it and be obedient. Your family will enjoy great blessings while you are serving.
ReplyDeleteBonnie
Mom to Elder Dave Mays