Monday, September 5, 2011

September 4, 2011

That IS an epic week! Im so happy for Spencer, his baptism and birthday!!!!

We likewise had 2 baptisms this past saturday, which I didnt baptize, because my baptismal clothes were left with the Zone Leaders in a different town.



This week was epic for me as well. We found out that our area is an absolute goldmine for finding and exploring caves. We explored a cave this week, where bats dwell, and where underground rivers flow to unknown places.




I also received a wasp sting to the face; right above my left eyebrow. It felt like I was punched in the face, and I had a major headache for 3 days. But we worked nonetheless, and luckily my face didnt swell up like a watermelon.

We were also attacked by several dogs this week. We were walking home at 9pm, with only a flashlight between the 2 of us. Out of nowhere we hear dogs running and barking in our general direction. Luckily, this also happened the same day we went cave diving, so we had slingshots and boots and we essentially totally armored and protected from any bites.

We had to fight them off with rocks fired from a slingshot, and a bamboo walking stick I had. We were pretty shaken up, but It was totally fun in a wierd way.

(His new apartment over the bishop store house)



This week we explored a new area near our home, and discovered several rivers with medium sized pools and waterfalls, that eventually run underground. In the same area, we found several senior couples who were blind, mute, and several people with 6fingers on their hand. It was ...interesting shaking their hand, because they usually had...like 2 thumbs I guess you could say.

We have a Q'eqchi hymnbook, with about 100-something hymns translated from spanish, and some from english. Its the one I sing from on a daily basis. I think its the best way to learn to pronounce the words correctly, and develop a good accent.

I continue to learn q'eqchi, and can now communicate with a mix of spanish and qeqchi with other people. I can hold a conversation, and get to know people a little better. I suppose I can say that I understand about 50% of what people are saying.
Its just a matter of getting basic words down, so you can understand the context of what theyre saying.

The best part about my area, is that its the best place to learn qeqchi, since practically no one knows spanish. In any other area, the majority of the people speak, or know spanish. I have to learn qeqchi through necessity. Its tough, but im starting to love it!

As for investigators, I still dont know what to tell you, because I kindof, basically, maybe dont know what theyre talking about yet. But they seem really awesome though.....

Also, church is abit different here in the mountains, especially in some of the areas. Church here is sometimes 2 hours, because there arent enough people for priesthood or even Relief Society.

Hehehe, thats awesome with your camera! So far ive been sort of using my companions camera. He takes pictures of me ....sometimes...

But hey, if you ever get bored of your Canon T1i...Just let the Spirit guide it over here to Guatemala. jejeje! ;)

Work has been sortof slowing down here in the mountains, because being the only Elders in the district, we travel ALOT to the Sisters' area 3 hours away. We go there at least 2-3 time a week, for baptismal interviews and the like. Everytime we make a trip, its at least 120 quetzales (which is ALOT!) and an entire day spent in a different town. We also do alot of service work here, such as cow slaughtering, pig slaying and chicken butchering. This past week though, we helped dig out a gravel road that was wiped out during in a mudslide. We worked for about 3 hours using pickaxes and shovels until a couple bulldozers managed to come up to the area.
Work has also slowed down, because our 5 areas are so far apart from each other, that we spend a day at each area, and then cycle through all 5 areas. But most of the appointments we set fall through, because the people arent usually there.

This Sunday, Sept 11th will practically be a national holiday for the missionaries here in Guatemala, because its national voting day, and no one will be home, and its already been announced in our Church District that there wont be church on sunday.

This district is starting to get better everyday, we were thinking about visiting the Carribean Sea, in Puerto Barrios, which is about 1hr30min from where I am right this minute.

I absolutely believe I am in the best proselyting area on the planet right now. Period. I just felt like saying that. :) Regardless of everything else, I feel at peace here. My body is accostumed now to this place. My mind is focused. I totally feel the Spirit here. And ..well I dont know. But I really enjoy it here. If given the opportunity, I would not want to go home right now.

In fact, Ive been thinking alot about Oscar lately, and how he would enjoy it up here. I think I'll have him tag along when I come back to visit Guatemala after my mission. I think he would also enjoy hitchhiking on top of microbuses traveling along the very edges of canyons and mountain sides at high speed on uneven, pot-hole-ridden, gravel roads, holding on to nothing but small ropes loosely tied to rusty roof-racks, which in turn are attached to an old, rickety diesel microbuses, piloted by a Q'eqchi driver who doesnt know how to drive, while looking down into the abyss, across gorgeous valleys, at natural waterfalls, and flocks of wild parrots flying all over the place...also while eating dust and getting rained on.

Thats just how I could best describe the experience. Hehehe.
Anyway, my time is up.

Love,
Andres.

No comments:

Post a Comment