Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16, 2011

I have so much to tell ya! Lets see if I can remember it all first,well my name in Huehuetenango, is Ticho, (pronounced TEESH-oh) kindof like tissue. Winter is starting soon, and the rainy season is nigh upon us! This past week has been sort of interesting, since we had zone conference, plus interviews, etc.We were on our way home in our full fancy suits, when it started pouring on us! Its said that theres a drought right now, last month we only received about 14 inches of rain or something. Im not sure, but thats the word on the street. We havent had much luck finding many investigators though, and were not sure why. But its been around the entire zone.Our goal for this week is 200+ contacts, instead of the usual 80-100. Ive concluded that my dad has absolutely no right to complain about fleas anymore. Our apartment, (and all of Guatemala for that matter) is infested with fleas, and each morning I wake up with half a dozen HUGE bites on my arms and feet. I also woke up next to my new bestfriend the other morning: Fred, the cockroach. He is huge, nearly the size of my tag, however, I ended up squishing him that night. Such a tragedy that had to happen really. (I really hope you notice the heavy sarcasm in this little anecdote). We finally took care of our ant problem, we couldnt leave a cup of water out because they would swarm over it. It was pretty awesome sight though.We have discovered a few awesomely fantastic families though, the Fam. Castellano is awesome!!! We do family home evenings with them, plus teach the daughters english 3 times a week. They are Cindy-15Yijaida- 14Jenny - 12Ana - 33Evelyn - 35Angel - 17 and Luis -24 we also like teaching the Barrios Family, and the Moreno family, and the Ochaeta Family. The ochaeta family story is interesting,they are Emily (22) and Carlo (50), daughter and father. They lived in the USA for about 20 years as illegals, and we deported a few months ago. She was studying to be a teacher at BYU idaho, and the dad worked for sheraton hotel for about 15 years, where he talked polotics with ted kennedy, etc. They are absolutely and fantastically intelligent. Also, Carlos´ dad is named Antonio Olivares, and was the first MISSIONARY to leave out of Guatemala over 60 years ago. Carlos and his parents live literally 3 houses down from each other, so they are very united and faithful. We have come to love em!We went tracting 2 days ago in a little area called Rodriguitos, where it is very dangerous to go after 5pm.However, its one of the most beautiful areas of our zone.We discovered an abandoned house that was already falling apart, and was basically an entire 2 story structure on its side, on a cliff.Obviously, we went inside this deathtrap and took a whole bunch of neat pictures.On the way back, I noticed a Mayan well.It was basically an aqueduct, much like the romans used in Rome, but it was basically a little waterfall coming out of the cliffside, but the little wall under it was totally mayan. I didnt take a picture of it, since its hard to see. Overall, this week has been fantastic, with lots of good food, stories, memories, and people. Thats as much as I remember, but ill keep in touch!

Mucho Love,
- Elder Laj Ticho Baq

No comments:

Post a Comment