The Hour Long Letter
So I decided to spend the entire time I have on the internet this week to write this letter in vivid detail. These past couple of weeks I've started making little memos to myself that note all the interesting things I did or saw that day. Ill start by just listing them:
-I used jungle leaves instead of TP. Its not very effective.
-I gave a health blessing to a baby with no name. I had to say, Brother, son of X Lady.
-I baptized for the 3rd time on August 6th. The lady is currently 70 years old. Ill upload pictures.
-I climbed up a mountain carrying a propane cylinder weighing 45 lbs, at night. We started the climb at 6:30pm, and arrived home at 11pm. That day sucked.
-I ate my first hamburger in almost a month at a little restaurant we found in El Estor.
- We hitch-hiked in the back of an ambulance while on an emergency call. It was the roughest ride of my life. Ambulances here are nothing more than a small pickup truck with a camper shell in the back. We rode on TOP of the camper shell.
-We witnessed, and helped in a cow butchering.
- Short Story, in regards to the amazing Winger Family.
: On tuesday morning, we received a call from a local village leader saying that 2 Ex-missionaries wanted to meet us. We went up to Sajonte to see what was going on, and upon arriving, we found an entire family from Utah, working with Choice Humanitarian there.
Immediately, they offered us ICE COLD drinks, and introduced themselves as LDS members, and as the Winger Family. They also filled my backpack with granola bars, jolly ranchers, tootsie rolls, snickers, M&Ms, skittles, salted peanuts, Nutri-Grain bars, nachos, sodas, juices, etc! They also invited us for dinner at the local (and only) restaurant in the region, where (as you saw in the picture) we ate BBQ steak, buffalo wings, salad, french fries, and more.
They dropped us off at home, but nonetheless invited us for the next day. On wednesday, we worked half day, and went up to visit them again. This time, i served as translator, and did some service work as well. The day being done, they invited us for dinner again, where we ate fried fish, and BBQ steak again. Thursday morning, they came by the church to say goodbye, and in turn left us breakfast (scrambled eggs, with rice, honey-bbq ham, beans, bread, and soda)
They also left BOXES of chips, mini oreos, chips ahoy, etc. They also left with us inflatable mattresses, and sleeping bags, with air pumps included. In the end, the family helped us the entire week, and kept us well fed during this time.
I definitely know they will be greatly blessed!!!!
-We gave a pig a bath.
-On saturday, we camped inside the church in Sepamac, so we could go to church the next day. We camped on the floor in our new sleeping bags, and since theres no electricity, we had to use candles to move around.
-Attendance in Sepamac is only 30 people, and church is only 2 hours long, because there not enough priesthood or relief society members to participate. Theres no branch president, or second counselor. In fact, the first counselor is doing all the work here, plus us of course.
Church attendance was only 21 last week, so we worked alot there to try to get people to go.
- We found a patch of elephant grass over 8 feet high. It sucks everytime we have to walk through it. We get eaten alive by mosquitos.
-I finally have my kekchi study materials, i got them this past friday finally.
I havent given a lesson in kekchi yet, because I barely know how to say hi to people.
In fact, ive only given about 3 lessons so far, because barely anyone knows how to speak spanish here. If I say anything, my companion then has to translate.
-In regards to my camera, I gave up on it. I no longer use it, because its just like using a film camera with no viewfinder. It can take pictures, but I dont know what im taking pictures of, nor how they turned out, because the screen doesnt work. The screen is totally fried. It does make a really nice paperweight for those windy days though.
-My boots are doing just fine, there are some pictures with me wearing them, so you can see what im talking about. As I type, im uploading about 150 pictures to facebook, in the original Greetings from Guatemala Album, as well as a new Guatemala 2 album that I had to create, because there were too many pictures. Either way, I am absolutely positive you will enjoy them. Except I wont be able to add descriptions yet, because that would take too long.
-This week will be really busy, I have divisions with Elder Hexem, and will spend 3 days with him up in Ch'ulác, Sehocóc, Sajonté, Buena Vista, Sepamac, and Corralpéc. Afterwards, we will go to Senahú for Interviews with Pt Watts, and zone conference until Friday.
-Sister Watts asked me to translate for her during all of conference, so Im really excited to do that for her. She is super awesome and absolutely amazing to us missionaries. I really enjoy talking to Pte and Sister Watts.
Anyway, im starting to fall in love with my area all over again, since our new mission home is just about finished, and im now accustomed to hiking up mountains everyday in the rain, sun, heat or cold. hehehe. and im starting to find ways to eat well. So im starting to climb out of the gloomy depths of hunger and exhaustion. Im actually quite happy right now.
On another note, oscar asked me to look for man-trucks here. And while here in El Estor, Ive seen quite a bit of Toyota Landcruisers, in truck form. They look to be from early 90's, they are 4x4, and stickshift as well.I believe they are V6 or V4, im not sure yet. ill ask around. They look beastly, and I wouldnt mind buying on myself. If he needs pictures, ill be glad to take some the next time I see them. As for toyota fj45's, i havent seen any here, nor the fj40's, since they are too big and guzzle gas like theres no tomorrow. Anyway, my hour is up, I hope you enjoy the letter, and the pictures!!
Rahóc,
Laa'in Laj Ticho B'aq - Li Misione'er
Eb Li Lix Pabaal li Jesukristo reheb laj tiquilal sa roso'jiqueb li cutaan.
= (I Am Andres Delgado, Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.)
-We witnessed, and helped in a cow butchering.
- Short Story, in regards to the amazing Winger Family.
: On tuesday morning, we received a call from a local village leader saying that 2 Ex-missionaries wanted to meet us. We went up to Sajonte to see what was going on, and upon arriving, we found an entire family from Utah, working with Choice Humanitarian there.
Immediately, they offered us ICE COLD drinks, and introduced themselves as LDS members, and as the Winger Family. They also filled my backpack with granola bars, jolly ranchers, tootsie rolls, snickers, M&Ms, skittles, salted peanuts, Nutri-Grain bars, nachos, sodas, juices, etc! They also invited us for dinner at the local (and only) restaurant in the region, where (as you saw in the picture) we ate BBQ steak, buffalo wings, salad, french fries, and more.
They dropped us off at home, but nonetheless invited us for the next day. On wednesday, we worked half day, and went up to visit them again. This time, i served as translator, and did some service work as well. The day being done, they invited us for dinner again, where we ate fried fish, and BBQ steak again. Thursday morning, they came by the church to say goodbye, and in turn left us breakfast (scrambled eggs, with rice, honey-bbq ham, beans, bread, and soda)
They also left BOXES of chips, mini oreos, chips ahoy, etc. They also left with us inflatable mattresses, and sleeping bags, with air pumps included. In the end, the family helped us the entire week, and kept us well fed during this time.
I definitely know they will be greatly blessed!!!!
-We gave a pig a bath.
-On saturday, we camped inside the church in Sepamac, so we could go to church the next day. We camped on the floor in our new sleeping bags, and since theres no electricity, we had to use candles to move around.
-Attendance in Sepamac is only 30 people, and church is only 2 hours long, because there not enough priesthood or relief society members to participate. Theres no branch president, or second counselor. In fact, the first counselor is doing all the work here, plus us of course.
Church attendance was only 21 last week, so we worked alot there to try to get people to go.
- We found a patch of elephant grass over 8 feet high. It sucks everytime we have to walk through it. We get eaten alive by mosquitos.
-I finally have my kekchi study materials, i got them this past friday finally.
I havent given a lesson in kekchi yet, because I barely know how to say hi to people.
In fact, ive only given about 3 lessons so far, because barely anyone knows how to speak spanish here. If I say anything, my companion then has to translate.
-In regards to my camera, I gave up on it. I no longer use it, because its just like using a film camera with no viewfinder. It can take pictures, but I dont know what im taking pictures of, nor how they turned out, because the screen doesnt work. The screen is totally fried. It does make a really nice paperweight for those windy days though.
-My boots are doing just fine, there are some pictures with me wearing them, so you can see what im talking about. As I type, im uploading about 150 pictures to facebook, in the original Greetings from Guatemala Album, as well as a new Guatemala 2 album that I had to create, because there were too many pictures. Either way, I am absolutely positive you will enjoy them. Except I wont be able to add descriptions yet, because that would take too long.
-This week will be really busy, I have divisions with Elder Hexem, and will spend 3 days with him up in Ch'ulác, Sehocóc, Sajonté, Buena Vista, Sepamac, and Corralpéc. Afterwards, we will go to Senahú for Interviews with Pt Watts, and zone conference until Friday.
-Sister Watts asked me to translate for her during all of conference, so Im really excited to do that for her. She is super awesome and absolutely amazing to us missionaries. I really enjoy talking to Pte and Sister Watts.
Anyway, im starting to fall in love with my area all over again, since our new mission home is just about finished, and im now accustomed to hiking up mountains everyday in the rain, sun, heat or cold. hehehe. and im starting to find ways to eat well. So im starting to climb out of the gloomy depths of hunger and exhaustion. Im actually quite happy right now.
On another note, oscar asked me to look for man-trucks here. And while here in El Estor, Ive seen quite a bit of Toyota Landcruisers, in truck form. They look to be from early 90's, they are 4x4, and stickshift as well.I believe they are V6 or V4, im not sure yet. ill ask around. They look beastly, and I wouldnt mind buying on myself. If he needs pictures, ill be glad to take some the next time I see them. As for toyota fj45's, i havent seen any here, nor the fj40's, since they are too big and guzzle gas like theres no tomorrow. Anyway, my hour is up, I hope you enjoy the letter, and the pictures!!
Rahóc,
Laa'in Laj Ticho B'aq - Li Misione'er
Eb Li Lix Pabaal li Jesukristo reheb laj tiquilal sa roso'jiqueb li cutaan.
= (I Am Andres Delgado, Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.)
No comments:
Post a Comment